- Chapter 1: Learning from Specific Mashups
- Chapter 2: Uncovering the Mashup Potential of Web Sites
- Chapter 3: Understanding Tagging and Folksonomies
- Looking ahead: Chapter 9
Please don’t redistribute these chapters. I will be making the chapters available online once they are finalized.
In Class Exercises
- Get the LibraryLookup Bookmarklet running on Firefox on your computer for the Berkeley Public Library and for OCLC. (Hint: For the Amazon book http://www.amazon.com/New-Collected-Poems-Czeslaw-Milosz/dp/006019667X — you would get http://library.berkeley-public.org/search/i=006019667X and http://worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/isbn/006019667X
- Tag at least three photos from http://flickr.com/groups/mixingandremixinginfo08/ — by doing the exercised listed at http://flickr.com/groups/mixingandremixinginfo08/discuss/72157603824717813/
- Create a Yahoo! Pipe that will display a BBC News RSS feed on Google Maps. Send me a URL for your map. Hint: http://pipes.yahoo.com/raymondyee/locationextractor and http://tinyurl.com/yvx8qy and http://tinyurl.com/yp8k2b
Due date: Saturday, Feb 2, 2008 at noon.
- Email me with your answers to the in-class exercises (questions 2 and 3).
- Given what you have seen so far, think about three problems that you might want to solve through mashups. For each problem area, give me at a brief paragraph telling me what the problem is, what you think you might do, and what obstacles you see right now for solving the problem. No need for detailed analysis yet. Be ready to present your ideas on Monday to the rest of the class. Find a mashup (listed on ProgrammableWeb or http://mashupawards.com/ or elsewhere) that serves as possible prior art to one of the problems you are listing in your writeup.
Administrative: Signing up for mailing list
Please subscribe to the infomix mailing list by either 1) using https://www.ischool.berkeley.edu/intranet/tools/mypreferences/mailinglists or 2) sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a blank subject and with a message subscribe infomix
Once everyone is set up, we can send email to the list by mailing infomix@ISchool.Berkeley.EDU
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.